What’s all this then?
Yesterday marked the launch of one of New Internationalist's first multimedia immersive long-form pieces, Smoke and Mirrors. Cooking smoke is responsible for a staggering amount of deaths in the world — more than malaria, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS combined. Not only that, the need for wood c …
Doctorow is both an entertaining author and very much on the right (by which I mean left/anarchist) side of politics. His futuristic utopia is set in a world where people are kept artificially poor in the midst of post scarcity merely to keep the capit …
A while ago, my buddy Oxguin was thinking about the blocking on Twitter, specifically because of Donald Trump. What happens, you see, is that when Trump says something twattish, as he is wont to do, all the non-twattish people on Twitter start telling him how much of a twat he is for saying it. …
Bruce Sterling is that other cyberpunk author. He is back to writing counterfactual alternative histories examining what may have been had things just happened to turn out slightly differently (cf. steampunk bible and Victorian romp The Differen …
Popular this week
- Motherboard details from the GNU/Linux commandline
- Online morse code translator. With sound. Using the web audio API.
- Font of the month: Montserrat
- Split multi-page PDFs into single page PDFs on GNU/Linux with pdftk
- https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/02/irs-scam-leverages-hacked-tax-preparers-client-bank-accounts/ … IRS Scam Leverages Hacked Tax Preparers, Client Bank Accounts ♺ @briankrebs
- #usability https://www.nngroup.com/articles/affinity-diagram/ … Affinity Diagramming for Collaboratively Sorting UX Findings and Design Ideas ♺ @nngroup
- #security http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Securityweek/~3/eIbeZKo3P_0/record-breaking-number-vulnerabilities-disclosed-2017-report … Record-Breaking Number of Vulnerabilities Disclosed in 2017: Report
- http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Torrentfreak/~3/V4un-MWPOCw/ … Flight Sim Company Embeds Malware to Steal Pirates’ Passwords ♺ @torrentfreak
- How @BritishTelecom are replacing London's phone boxes with corporate spying units http://www.wired.co.uk/article/linkuk-bt-google-free-wifi-and-calls-london … #privacy