I mean it. Nut roast tastes like the Seventies. For me no other decade has so comprehensively embraced brown. Its always nice to have a solid thing to go with the veggies and, more importantly, under the gravy and a good nut roast can't be beat on that score. Its dead simple to make your own, don’t bother with the mix.
Vegan Nut Roast Ingredients
- 226.796g(8oz) Lentils
- 473.176473ml(16fl oz) Water
- 226.796g(8oz) Nuts — I use a mix of broken up cashews and chopped mixed nuts with some walnuts thrown in.
- 4slices Medium Cut bread. White and a bit stale works best.
- 1cube of your favourite stock.
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan margarine
- OK, if your oven sucks as does mine, you want to get that switched on to start warming up. The next bit is going to be to bung the lentils in with the water, and boil them til they go mushy. Say 10 minutes. But if this is part of a roast you’ll probably have the oven on doing your potatoes anyway.
- While your lentils are bubbling away, you’ll need to smash up the nuts if they aren’t already chopped, and also make the bread as much like breadcrumbs as you can be arsed to. You could probably use a blender or something. That would work.
- Next, check everything else except the marg into a decent-sized bowl. Its going to need to be big enought for the lentils and water as well as everything else. Its up to you, but I tend to break the stock cube into the boiling lentils near the end of cooking. You aren’t supposed to add salt to the cooking water of beans.
- You should have a sticky-together mess now. It should be pretty stiff, more like concrete than porridge. Leave it to soak up stock and lentil juice for as long as you can.
- Next grease up a medium loaf tin with the margarine. Once you have done that, tip the mix into the loaf tin, and chuck it in the oven.
- The time it takes depends on lots of factors. The temperature of the oven. The type of bread you used. The continued existence of the universe. At some point, normally after 20 minutes or so your nut roast will be cooked. Huzzah!
The basic idea of mushing together nuts, breadcrumbs and squishy stuff in the form of water, mashed potatoes or lentils can be remixed endlessly. What about using mashed swede instead of lentils. Or pecans instead of cashews. You get the picture.
Makes enough for 4 people.
It should take about 40 min to prepare
Posted: 2012-08-28 by .