Huzzah! At 13:00 UTC 2013-12-31 I launched the redesigned version of charlieharvey.org.uk. So far it hasn’t broken that badly. But give it time.
I have been blogging the redesign process for the last few months.
Here are some of the new things about the site that I hope make it nicer to use (and easier to maintain). Let me know what you think in the comments.
- It is fully responsive. So you can read it on whatever device you happen to have handy. Hopefully.
- It uses HTML5 and CSS3 — this just means that the actual code for the site is a bit more up to date. I will miss XHTML its anal-ness kept the quality of my markup high!
- There are proper RSS and Atom feeds and a Content API, making it easier to subscribe to my stuff or mash it up with other people’s.
- The typography should be easier to read, and there is less fiddly stuff to get in the way of what I believe usability folks call "the reading experience". Bye-bye sidebar, hello Libre Baskerville.
- It’s got proper social media share buttons. Because people like that sort of stuff.
- All of the code that I’ve developed is free software. Meaning that you are free to copy, study and redistribute it.
- I’ve focussed on making the navigation simpler. I hope that it makes more sense now.
Anyhow I’m off now to drink a glass of something fizzy and celebrate a new year and a new website. Cheers!