I was in Prague recently and had some stonking vegan fajitas in a restaurant. Which got me to thinking I should really figure out how to make my own. Turns out to be pretty straightforward. I have to admit I am a bit of a chilli fetishist. I like hot stuff, OK? So I added a few drops of ChilliPepper Pete's Dragon's Blood Sauce to my marinade as well as the chilli powder and chipotle peppers. You could use tabasco or something if you don't want to feel the burn to the nth degree.
Vegan Fajitas Ingredients
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 yellow squash (or another courgette)
- 2 handful fake chicken bits (or strips of tofu or seitan if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 4 fl oz olive oil (plus a tablespoon in which to fry)
- 4 fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 1 squeeze lime juice
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- A few drops Dragon's Blood sauce
- 4 tortillas
- If you’ve got dried chipotle peppers, boil up the kettle and get them soaking in a mug of hot water.
- Mix oil, vinegar, garlic, herbs, spices, salt, liquid smoke and Dragon's Blood sauce in a jug or some sort of vessel like that. Set it aside for now.
- Julienne the veggies.
- Hopefully your chipotle peppers have gone all rehydrated. Chop them into bits and add to your marinade.
- Chuck the veggies in a bowl or a tupperware. Tip the marinade over them, swizzle round for a bit to get them all coated in fajitaish loveliness and leave them to soak it up for an hour.
- Now heat up some oil in a griddle or skillet or frying pan so that its not quite smoking. Hot that is.
- Put in a little bit of the veggie mix at a time and fry it for about 5 minutes, until it starts having little black bits on it.
- Meanwhile, chuck your tortillas into the microwave for say 40 seconds (I mean use your judgement here).
You can have these as is or you can whip up a salsa, some guacamole, chop up some lettuce,grate some cheezely and empty some jalapenos into a bowl if you're trying to impress someone.
Makes enough for 5 or 6 fajitas.
It should take about 90 min to prepare including an hour marinading, some washing up and a bit of faff time
Posted: 2011-08-06 by .